Saturday, February 8, 2014

Review: This Star Won't Go Out

Title: This Star Won't Go Out
Author: Ester Earl
Format: Hardcover
Publication: January 28, 2014
Score:
Summary: A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her.

Review: This book really got to me. I first heard about it through, who else, John Green. I'd actually first heard about Ester through John's vlog when I watched all of the Vlogbrothers old videos last year. She was a friend of his who he had met long after she was diagnosed with cancer and ultimately was his inspiration for writing The Fault in Our Stars (though he's very quick to let us all know that Hazel is not entirely based on Esther and that Hazel's story is not Esther's story).

This Star Won't Go Out is a collection of Esther's journals and updates from a website her family had created after she got sick in order to keep their family and friends updated on her health. There are also many guest contributions from people such as her doctor, her friends, and her siblings. 

This book was a very touching read. It shows the darkness of depression that was inevitable in her life but  it also gives us a look at the positive, caring, intelligent, sarcastic, full-of-love 12-16 year old girl that Esther was throughout the duration of her sickness. Esther made a lasting impression on many people in this world and that's all that one can hope to do in a lifetime, let alone just 16 years. 

It is a long but quick read and I recommend that absolutely every one read this book. I especially recommend that any nerdfighters, fans of The Fault In Our Stars, or just any one who is looking for something that will tug at their hearts read This Star Won't Go Out. But be prepared, it is definitely a tearjerker! 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading This Start Won't Go Out. I watched Esther's videos when she she was alive and I was very heartbroken when she passed away. This book gives the reader the sense of passion and the love that Esther had for her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I probably will shatter when I get the chance to read this…I'd rather avoid it. I can't take emotional books, they literally make me hate and love the book. HAHA

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete