Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best/Worst Series Endings


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week I'm talking about my top ten best/worst series endings. 

Best:

1. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3)-I don't know if any series ending will ever be better than my top two picks. I was dreading reading Clockwork Princess last year. The Infernal devices series is my favorite of Cassandra Clare's two shadowhunter series but it is one of those series that has a love triangle where you pick a clear side, but you still love the other side too. It seemed the fandom was pretty split on who they wanted Tessa to end up with and no matter who she chose, we all knew it was going to hurt like hell. The ending was so beautiful, it was sad but also happy at the same time. I really don't think Clare could have written it any better.


2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7)-No book series will EVER beat Harry Potter. The entire series consists of seven of the best books that I have ever read. I don't think I could ever read a 1000 plus page book in just a few days in any other series. For some reason the books always ended up coming out while my family was on vacation and I would spend majority of my time reading! This ending was perfect. Everything was wrapped up, we were given a look into the future of the characters, we got a satisfying defeat of a villain. I could not have asked for anything more from it! And the last line is by far THEE best final line from a final book ever!


3. Last Sacrifice (The Vampire Academy #6)-Honestly I just really loved this series. I'm liking Bloodlines more, because Adrian, but that series is not finished yet. I will most likely go back and reread this entire series sometime next year before the movie is released. It is one that I will never get tired of. This ending was very satisfying. The only thing that I did not like about it was that poor Adrian got his heart broken! From the moment I met Adrian I fell in love with him (and I almost never fall in love with the second leg in a love triangle) and even though I already knew he was going to get his own story in Bloodlines, while I read VA I was still rooting for him.


4. Sever (The Chemical Garden Series #3)-Lauren DeStefano's writing is just so beautiful. Her stories flow in a way that is never boring and always kept me wanting to read more. I liked the way that this series ended, but I can't say that it wasn't somewhat forgettable (I can't even really remember what happened anymore and I just read it earlier this year). If I were to go back and reread though, I am sure I would love it again.





5. Boundless (Unearthly #3)-It is weird to read a story with a love triangle where you know you are rooting for the side that is not going to end up getting the girl. That's how this book was for me. I knew that my choice was not going to be the winning one. That didn't make me like this book any less though. It was good. The ending was a bit bittersweet, but I liked it and felt satisfied by the time I closed the book.






Worst:

6. Ascend (Trylle #3)-This book made me hate the rest of this series. I usually don't mind when a love triangle doesn't go my way but this was the one time that I was really fooled into thinking it was going to go one way and so I was disappointed when it didn't. And that was enough for me to hate it all.







7. Requiem (Delirium #3)-Unsatisfying ending. This book and Matched are on this list for much the same reason. The first books were so beautiful and I loved them so much but the last books just did not deliver. I didn't enjoy the ending, it didn't feel satisfying at all. The rest of the book was really just okay, not great at all. I loved Delirium and Pandemonium so I was SO looking forward to this book! In the end I was just disappointed. Also, I HATED the open ended ending. All it did was piss me off and make me want to throw the book out the window!




8. Reached (Matched #3)-Pretty much the same as Requiem here. I LOVED the first two books and just felt this final one did not deliver. Maybe this was because I read the first two close together and then had to wait a year for the final book (same with Requiem). Either way, I was really looking forward to this book and was really sad when it was not what I had hoped for.







9. Rapture (Fallen #4)-I liked this book when I first read it but I did not love it. It was really just okay. I felt like the twist just didn't really work for me. It made the book very weird and nothing like the others which disappointed me. Also Cam's ending was not a good one at all and I really did not like that. Even the Epilogue showed us his discontent and gave us no real hope for him.






10. Beautiful Redemption (Beautiful Creatures #4)-This was by far the worst series ending I've ever read. I actually didn't even finish it I disliked it so much. I stopped reading fairly close to the end because it just wasn't interesting to me AT ALL. I didn't care what happened and I probably wont ever pick it back up to finish it, which is pretty sad. I mean how do you DNF the last book in a series??

 



So what do you guys think? 

7 comments:

  1. Harry Potter love <3!
    A lot of people seem to be disappointed with Requiem.
    Beautiful Darkness is a series I stopped reading after the second book due to waning interest. More than ever, this seems like a good choice.
    Love your description of Vampire Academy. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was unsatisfied with REACHED. I really liked the series as a whole but that one just didn't tie up the series very well in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Clockwork Princess, Last Sacrifice, and Boundless on my list as well for best. Boundless made me sad for a certain character because we don't know that he gets his HEA, but other than that, very satisfying. Reached was actually on my best list. Even though I didn't love it like I loved Matched (which was by far the best of the series) I was satisfied with the ending. Contrast that with Requiem, which most of us can agree was such an open ending that it was not satisfying and I also think that she made a certain character, who I absolutely loved, turn into someone else who I didn't even like. Great list! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Clockwork Princess too!! It was perfect!! I cried like a like a baby. Lol. And Harry Potter!! Such a good book. I was so sad to see that series end. :(

    I agree, Beautiful Redemption was not that great. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit enter too quickly! I wanted to say I am totally with you on Ascend as well. I hated the ending! I was so mad, I really wanted her to end up with someone else. I felt cheated. :(

      Delete
    2. I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Ascend! I really liked the rest of the series but I think she totally ended up with the wrong guy and it ruined it for me!

      I also cried like a baby while reading Clockwork Princess :[ so sad but soooo good!

      Delete
  5. Ugh. I hated Reached. :( I kind of got bored and annoyed while reading... And I am not even going to try reading Requiem after hearing so much about it from so many people.

    Also, your first three picks made my list as well! :D They are all so awesome, especially Deathly Hallows.

    ReplyDelete