Saturday, October 5, 2013

Review: Unbreakable (Legion #1)

Title: Unbreakable (Legion #1) 
Author: Kami Garcia
Genre: Paranormal Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Publication: October 1, 2013
Score:
Summary :
Supernatural meets The Da Vinci Code in this action-packed paranormal thriller, the first book in a new series from New York Times bestselling author Kami Garcia. 

I never believed in ghosts. Until one tried to kill me.


When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn’t know that paranormal forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into Kennedy’s room and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon — a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.
Now Kennedy has to take her mother’s place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon — battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.

Suspense, romance, and the paranormal meet in this chilling urban fantasy, the first book in a new series from Kami Garcia, bestselling coauthor of the Beautiful Creatures novels.

Review: I definitely enjoyed reading this book. The pacing was great and it was a very quick read. I liked the main character, Kennedy, and I was very much so into her story from the moment I opened the book and read the first lines. 

It is being marketed as being similar to the TV Show Supernatural and I must say it is a lot like it. Lots of ghosts and salt and holy water and even some devils traps. Oh an don't forget the angst, there is a lot of angst. I can't say that I liked it more than I like Supernatural (there isn't really much that I like more than SPN) but it was still pretty good. 

I think the beginning was great, but as I read further and further I noticed I started liking it less and less. 

First and foremost there's the love triangle. I think the idea of a love triangle with two twins brothers has a TON of potential. But it has to be written well and I in my opinion with this book I just can't say that it was. Maybe this is just because I was just thinking about it with my Top Ten Tuesday from this week (top ten biggest book turn offs) but all of it seemed extremely insta-love to me. It was kind of like Kennedy meets these two very hot twins and suddenly finds herself in love with one of them but I just can't seem to figure out why she feels that way. And then she realizes (or at least we the readers realize) they're both in love with her. Okay it wasn't quite that extreme, but it was something along those lines. I feel like it was all way too rushed and forced which is kind of a shame because with a book series you have multiple books to work up to that. I really just needed more reason than what we got for all three of them to be feeling that way.

Besides the insta-love, I can't really explain why I didn't love this book. Like I said, I definitely liked it, but I just didn't love Maybe it was the fact that it's been hyped up to the point that I was expecting too much from it. Or maybe that the characters where all pretty good but by no means unforgettable. In the end I think it was the love story that made this a 3 star book rather than a 4 star book for me. I read young adult for the romance and this story was not the super swoony romance that I love to read (also I felt like both of the twins were not quite up to par as far as love interests go).

However, one thing that was really great about this book was the scare factor. I love horror and I love stuff that scares the crap out of me, but I find it pretty hard to be scared by a book. Even some of the creepiest darkest novels I've ever read don't usually scare me much. Unbreakable had a few moments that gave me goosebumps! The descriptions of some of the ghost scenes were really great and really very scary! 

I think that a lot of people are really going to love this book. If you think you can over look what fell short for me with this book you will definitely love it and even if you can't you will still most likely enjoy reading it. If you loved the Beautiful Creatures series or if you are looking for something to really scare you I would definitely recommend you read Unbreakable. But, if you are sick of reading romances that sprout out of no where, I'd recommend you pass this one up. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like Supernatural, so I'll probably check out this book. Yeah, I'm not a fan of insta-love so that will bother me, and if the love triangle is not done well, that will bother me, so I'll read the book with dialed down expectations and hopefully that will help. Thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete