Monday, October 7, 2013

Review: Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Title: Please Ignore Vera Dietz
Author: A. S. King 
Format: Hardcover
Publication: October 12, 2010
Score:
Summary: 
Vera’s spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she’s kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to?

Edgy and gripping, Please Ignore Vera Dietz is an unforgettable novel: smart, funny, dramatic, and always surprising.

Review: Wow. This book was simply amazing.

It was the first book I ever put on my goodreads to-read list. It's been sitting there for well over a year, just staring at me, begging me to read it. But, as I often do, I kept putting it off because I never saw it at the bookstore and sometimes for reasons I cannot understand, I put off reading books that I am absolutely sure I am going to love. I really just cannot explain it. 

FINALLY last week I used one of the periodic 20% off Barnes and Noble coupons I always get and ordered it online. Two days later it was here. I started reading it yesterday afternoon and finished it this afternoon. I literally just couldn't put it down. I had to figure out what happened. What happened to Charlie? How could Vera ever hate him? What are his secrets? Seriously, sometimes books with little mini mysteries like this make me want to pull my hair out, but Vera Dietz gives us her secrets piece by piece in a way that just made me want to keep reading. 

Please Ignore Vera Dietz is a character driven novel. I absolutely fell in love with all of the characters. Vera, whose downward spiral made me love her rather than loathe her. The depth and growth of her character throughout this novel was truly amazing. Charlie who I just wanted to not be dead the entire time (seriously, Charlie, I love you. I need more of you even if it's just dead and haunting Vera you). I love characters with issues and Charlie has them all. Mr. Dietz. I adored Mr. Dietz and I almost never love parental characters when reading a YA book. I even loved James, the 23 year old college dropout pizza delivery technician who works with and flirts with 18 year old Vera. Characters always make or break my opinion of a book and with this novel they definitely made it. I didn't even need a clear romantic story to love this book. James the Pizza guy? Past Charlie? It was all there but it wasn't what was important.

What was important was Vera's story. Her story of her friendship and ultimate betrayal by Charlie.The story of her and her father coming to terms with her mother's absence. How she deals with Charlie's secrets and the fact that he is haunting her from the grave. It was all so fascinating. I really really adored this book to the point that I almost wish I had read it slower so I could have enjoyed it for longer. 

Please Ignore Vera Dietz is dark and twisty and deep and romantic and everything I love in a Young Adult Novel. 

If you love contemporary character driven young adult novels and haven't read this book, I would recommend that you go out and get it RIGHT NOW. If you love Young Adult or Adult or just books in general you should read it. Everyone should read this book because it is one of those books that sticks with you long after you've finished it. I am pretty sure I will be thinking about this one for days. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this book sounds dark and amazing! Great review :D Also, I've been wanting to read one of the author's books for a while. so this will be a great start for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even heard of this book, but your review makes me want to read it! It sounds so dark and I usually like my contemporary YA to be light and fluffy, but I'm adding this one to my TBR list. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete