Saturday, September 28, 2013

Review: Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy #2)

Title: Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy #2)
Author: Wendy Higgens
Format: Paperback
Publication: April 30, 2013
Score: 
Summary: Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things. 

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?
Review: I'm not quite sure why I put off reading this one for so long. I absolutely adored Sweet Evil when I read it last year and I bought it not long after it was released it April but for some reason I just couldn't muster up the want to read it. Finally though, four months after I bought it, I forced myself to just pick it up and read it. And of course I loved it.

I read Sweet Evil sometime last year but thankfully it did not take me long to get back into this series while reading Sweet Peril. That's the one thing I hate about starting a series when only one book is published. In the year between books being released I always forget so much of what happened in the previous book. And there are only so many books I can reread before reading the new release. It is nice though when I start a second book in a series after a long time between reading the first one and am able to get right back into it. 

Anna Whit is an annoyingly innocent and nice character but I still like her. I just don't like how innocent she is. I like it when she gets mad or when she has trouble curbing her call to drugs and alcohol. Characters need flaws and I really just don't think Anna has enough. Sometimes it seems that she is too good, too perfect. I realize that it is kind of the point that she is super innocent and now she is getting thrown into this super deviant demon/neph world, but I would still like to see some more depth to her character. However, like I said I do still like her.

Kaiden Rowe on the other hand is amazing. I guess I am pretty biased when it comes to the male characters in a novel but I just love them SO much! Kaiden is British which pretty much just kills me right there because I LOVE British men. I love how Higgens shows his Britishness through his vocabulary and use of British slang. Really I just love it. And he's all tortured musician and hot and lusty and all of the good things that make us swoon. For some reason I just can't get his name right and that bothers me. Every time I say it in my head it's kay-den rather than ky-den. I know the second way it the correct way but I just can't get it through my head. Not that that is a flaw in the novel, it's a flaw of mine lol, but it still bugs me!

I like all of the other characters especially the other Dukes because I feel that they are the perfect amount of evil and creepy and yet still somewhat charming that all villains should be. 

The story is getting very interesting but I wish we would have seen a bit more action in this novel. It was a lot more setting up for action to come than actual action. The last book will probably have an abundance of action in response to all of the set up from this book. The romance was interesting and well paced but it also felt kind of dull. 

Overall, I really did enjoy reading this novel. It was good, but not quite amazing. It just doesn't stand out much from all of the hundreds of other young adult paranormal romance series. It is definitely entertaining though. I would recommend Sweet Peril for anyone who enjoyed the first novel, Sweet Evil, and also for anyone looking for a hot British male love interest. Kaiden will definitely not disappoint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment