Sunday, September 15, 2013

Review: The Fault In Our Stars

Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Format: Hardcover
Publication: January 10, 2012
Score:
Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
Review: I absolutely adored this book.
I spent an entire Saturday evening at home entranced by Hazel’s story. I didn't stop reading until I finished it and then I immediately started reading it again (which by the way is something I'd never done before).

This novel literally knocked me off my feet.

I began reading it unsure of what I was getting myself into but knowing that it was going to be desperately sad (which it was). What I was not expecting was how funny it was going to be. I’ve never actually laughed out loud while crying until reading this book.

For me, this was the love story to end all love stories. Every time Augustus says “Hazel Grace” my heart melted just a little bit. I loved watching them fall in love. I wished I could find a love like their love. But alas “the world is not a wish granting factory.”

I also enjoyed both Augustus and Hazel’s many different existential contemplation’s throughout the book. It added a lot of depth to both characters for me. And it made me think more about how unnoticeable the mark we leave on this world can truly be.

Most reviews that I've read of the book list their greatest complaint as being that Augustus and Hazel do not talk like normal 16/17 year old teenagers. Their vocabulary is far beyond their years. And I agree it is. But I have to say that the book would not be the same had the characters been “dumbed down” to sound like normal teenagers. This is fiction that we are reading here and some parts of that fiction are purely realistic while some other parts of it are romanticized. Just because it isn't completely realistic does not make it any less of a great piece of literature.

I guessed from the beginning how it was going to end but I was none the less devastated by it. Be prepared while reading this book, it is going to make you cry like you haven’t cried in ages. At least it did for me, and I don’t normally cry while reading books. The entire time I was reading it I kept cursing myself for ever having decided to read it in the first place because I had known all along it was going to be sad. I just hadn't realized quite how sad it was going to be.

I've never had a book move me so emotionally. For two days after reading it I could think of nothing else. If I could give this book more than five stars, I would. It is rare for a book to stick with someone so intensely. I would definitely recommend that everyone read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment