Thursday, September 26, 2013

Review: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)

Title: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Format: Hardcover
Publication: September 17, 2013
Score: 
Summary: If you could steal things from dreams, what would you take?

Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.

One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.

And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.

Ronan is one of the raven boys-a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's  secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface-changing everything in its wake. 


Review: I have been waiting so long for this sequel to The Raven Boys to come out! I had very high expectations for this sequel, and though it was amazing, I can't say they were 100% met. 

The story was interesting and fresh and distinctively different from other young adult novels. Every part of this story from the psychics of 300 Fox Way, to Cabeswater and the search for Glendower, to Ronan and his dream thievery, each aspect is a story within itself. I loved all of the parts of this story yet again.

Just as with The Raven Boys, my favorite part of this novel is the characters. Though the story is interesting, it would be nothing without these characters. Gansey is probably one of my all time favorite characters. He is passionate and altruistic and brilliant and I could probably go on for hours about how much I love him. And then there's Ronan. He is basically the complete opposite of Gansey yet he would so absolutely anything for him. I fell much much farther in love with Ronan in this book. We got a lot of scenes from his point of view and it gave me a lot of insight into this bad boy and it really helped me understand him. Adam was frustrating and stubborn and though I kept telling myself I didn't like him as much in this book because of those things I have to admit I still loved him. He's just so vulnerable it's hard not to like him even when he's being a jerk. Noah was pretty absent a lot of the time, but there were a couple of scenes that made me love him just a little bit more. I think I liked Blue better this time around. I like the way she stands up to the boys and the way she opens up to them slowly and differently to each of them. There was also a new character the Grey Man who was an absolutely fascinating character. I went back and forth between loving him and hating him for much of the book. 

The romance was again pretty nonexistent but still there in all of the important moments. There was heartbreak, and a kiss, and an even better non-kiss. Also, we learned the sexuality of a character and I loved how surprising and non-stereotypical it was. It doesn't define who this character is in anyway.

So why isn't this a five star book if it was so amazing? Honestly it took me a while to really get into it. I had to really push myself through the first 100-150 pages. I kept found myself not wanting to continue reading. I am pretty sure that the fact that I read The Raven Boy's about a year ago had something to do with that though. I couldn't remember everything that had happened and it made it difficult for me to be interested in what was happening now. I think if I had reread The Raven Boys before reading The Dream Thieves, that I would not have had this problem. 

So, if it's been a while since you read The Raven Boys, I would definitely recommend a reread before you pick up The Dream Thieves. No matter what, I recommend that everyone should read this series. I'm already dying for the third book and I literally just finished this one! It's really great and I promise the characters alone will make it worth while. The writing is simple yet awesome and the story is definitely one that you will have never come across before! 

No comments:

Post a Comment